Re: maximum_object_size

From: Jon Kay <jkay@dont-contact.us>
Date: Sat, 22 Dec 2001 19:50:31 -0600

Henrik Nordstrom wrote:

> Jon Kay wrote:
>
> > > If someone has an cache in the range 50MB to 3GB it solves the problem.
> >
> > I'm missing something here. How does limiting max objsize to less than
> > a tenth of a percent of cache size HELP ?!?!
>
> Because this makes Squid bypass the cache for objects "close" to the
> cache size.
>
> > If I had a 3G cache, and my users are doing anything even slightly big...
> > 4M is pretty much a tiny limit for cable/DSL users.
>
> I am not arguing that 4 MB is not tiny. My only claim is that we still
> need a limit until the real problem is addressed. Where such a limit
> needs to be depends on
> a) The size of the cache
> b) The request load / likelyhood for parallell large replies
> c) How much an "huge" object should be allowed to impact the cache of
> smaller objects

Yes, but we need to do something about it. Customers complained to me
about
the earlier 4MB limit THREE YEARS AGO.

Arright. Since you feel so passionate about the matter, how about if we
compromise on defaulting it to half the sum of cachedir sizes? Either that
or 400 MB, so we can put the argument off for three years?

--
Jon Kay        pushcache.com                      jkay@pushcache.com
http://www.pushcache.com/                             (512) 420-9025