Re: Problems running Squid on Cygwin (Was Re: Possible problem on HEAD)

From: Robert Collins <robert.collins@dont-contact.us>
Date: Sun, 23 Dec 2001 11:44:23 +1100

----- Original Message -----
From: "Guido Serassio" <serassio@libero.it>

> Hi,
>
> I found some problems running Squid on latest Cygwin (1.3.6-6):
>
> - The cygwin-svc code can't start at boot time as a service. Starting
it
> manually works fine. On cygwin mailing list, I have just found other
users
> with similar problems running inetd with cygrunsrv. This is a Cygwin
issue,
> it seems to be fixed adding a "LanmanWorkstation" service dependency
> Squid to delay the service start ..., but Squid doesn't use
> LanmanWorkstation functionality.

Some services needs to depend on lanmanworkstation because setuid
capability will invoke NT SAM calls - that use LanMan to authenticate in
a domain. For squid, TCPIP should be a good enough dependency. Having no
dependency will cause failures.

> - Often Squid jumps to 100 % CPU, stopping to respond. The only fix is
> kill it. With the URL
> http://www.ilnuovo.it/nuovo/foglia/0,1007,95669,00.html and using
Netscape
> the problem seems to be reproducible. Henrik has already tested this
URL on
> another platform without problems. I have tested this address using
the
> same clients configured with an Alpha Linux 2.5 Squid, and, again, all
> works fine, so this seems to be another Cygwin issue.

If you can find where it's stopping (prehaps by running under gdb) that
would help debug me get it corrected in cygwin.

Rob