Re: pipeline replies ..

From: Robert Collins <robertc@dont-contact.us>
Date: 09 Aug 2002 18:12:36 +1000

On Fri, 2002-08-09 at 16:25, Adrian Chadd wrote:

> hey,
>
> I've been playing with the pipeline support in -HEAD and I have
> it doing what I'd like.

Excellent.

> _BUT_, I'd like the list to validate this first!
>
> Are there meant to be any blank lines between pipeline replies?
> ie...

No.

RFC 2616, section 4.1 (the last two paragraphs).

   In the interest of robustness, servers SHOULD ignore any empty
   line(s) received where a Request-Line is expected. In other words, if
   the server is reading the protocol stream at the beginning of a
   message and receives a CRLF first, it should ignore the CRLF.

   Certain buggy HTTP/1.0 client implementations generate extra CRLF's
   after a POST request. To restate what is explicitly forbidden by the
   BNF, an HTTP/1.1 client MUST NOT preface or follow a request with an
   extra CRLF.

IOW, No there is no extra data after a message ends, for both transfer
encoded, and non-encoded, fixed length messages.

Rob