Re: Squid 3 development open

From: Joe Cooper <joe@dont-contact.us>
Date: Thu, 17 Oct 2002 03:47:19 -0500

Evgeny Kotsuba wrote:
> Hi,
> On 17 Oct 2002 14:44:13 +1000
> Robert Collins <robertc@squid-cache.org> wrote:
>
>> We have some new style guidelines to handle the use of C++ in the source
>> tree. They can be found at
>> http://www.squid-cache.org/~robertc/squid-3-style.txt for now, a more
>> permanent home will be found shortly.
>

> What about "not to use templates and STL" ?
>
>> file naming: .h files should only declare one class.
>
> it will fine if we have few non- related classes
>
> What about "do not place" member functions in .h, exept very short,
> what about "not use static initialisation" exept for structures and
> structures-like classes ?
> What about "don't use exeptions" and other devil constructions ?

Yeah! And don't use objects, or those crazy constructors and
destructors semantics, better to just treat it as C with // comments! ;-)

Seriously though, I have a sneaking suspicion that most of the core
Squid guys agree with you on most points. (I seem to recall complaints
of STL being too reliant on templates in ways that weren't portable
enough to current compilers. So it seems they are in agreement with you.)

--
Joe Cooper <joe@swelltech.com>
Web caching appliances and support.