Re: Squid 3 development open

From: Robert Collins <robertc@dont-contact.us>
Date: 17 Oct 2002 18:56:24 +1000

On Thu, 2002-10-17 at 18:26, Evgeny Kotsuba wrote:

> What about "not to use templates and STL" ?

Use of the STL needs to be considered. Certainly I won't be leveraging
the STL at this point, the squid codebase is too procedural to benefit
at this point.

> >file naming: .h files should only declare one class.
> it will fine if we have few non- related classes

Huh? Not sure what you mean. Can you enlarge on your comment?

> What about "do not place" member functions in .h, exept very short,

We want as few restrictions as possible, to encourage flexible
development. Any non-core contributions will (of course) get reviewed.
So if something seems inappropriate we can ask that it get moved. It's
very easy to move member bodies from .cc to .h and vice verca. SO I
don't think we need to set a specific rule about this.

> what about "not use static initialisation" exept for structures and
> structures-like classes ?

static initialisation is incredibly useful. So why not use it?

> What about "don't use exeptions" and other devil constructions ?

exceptions are of little use in squid due to the heavily callback based
design. (exceptions are designed for call stack unwinding, which becomes
invalid in our environment). However, there may be use for exceptions to
replace some of the fatal() and assert() calls with a more flexible
mechanism. For now though, certainly exceptions should be very rarely,
if ever, used.

What other 'devil constructions' are you referring to?

Rob