Re: Feature request

From: Ray Cole <ray_cole@dont-contact.us>
Date: Fri, 1 Nov 2002 20:59:48 -0600

I have a usleep-free flavor of this now. I found when I removed the usleep that it actually started misbehaving again. I was only modifying neighbor.c, when really I also needed to make a similar modification to forward.c. With the usleep in place it was giving enough time for forward.c's retry attempts (which is set at 10) to recover - more or less masking the issue.

So I do have this going without any usleep. The configuration parameter per peer sets the amount of time to retry connections when they fail - default is 0 to indicate this isn't wanted. It will basically ignore n_tries on FwdState if this is set, retrying up to X seconds. Generally speaking, 1 second is more than sufficient - almost makes me want to make it just an on/off switch but conceivably someone might want just a little longer.

I'm still not quite pleased with the way I'm implementing it, but at least now I have a definitive answer on the area of code that needs the improvements. I'd also rather make this a little more generic - perhaps an option when starting a connection in comm.c rather than only impacting peer connections (perhaps configurable at the peer level or globally, just in case someone experiences this problem in other areas aside from peers).

I won't put anything away yet. Since this is my first time to contribute I'd rather take my time to make sure I'm not going to screw something up.... :-) I'm also only modifying 2.5-STABLE1 on my machine at this time. If anyone wants to try it with 2.5 let me know, otherwise I'll keep it to myself for a few days.

BTW - should I subscribe to the squid-dev list at this point, or should I remain unsubscribed?

I also wanted to say that I was a bit hesistant to contribute at first, but everyone seems to have a good attitude about such things. I wasn't sure what I was going to get myself into - so thanks! :-)

-- Ray Cole