Re: squid 3 1 bug left

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: Wed, 05 Feb 2003 23:27:34 +0100

Robert Collins wrote:

> > > What about HttpConnect.cc? and httpConnect* ?
> > > tunnel is ok too - we can always change later.
> >
> > As long as we settle for one.. prefer not to change later..
>
> Agreed, however with refactoring, clarity comes before being nice to CVS
> :}.

Some pro cons to aid in selecting a better name:

ssl:
   pro - The protocol the CONNECT method is designed to tunnel
   con - Highly application specific of how the proxy is used, and not
at all related to the actual action taking place in the proxy.
   con - Collides with the actual use of SSL within the proxy

tunnel:
   pro - What is actually taking place. The module is responsible for
tunnel mode operation.
   pro - may make even more sense if other tunnel mode operations are
implemented sharing the same code
   con - might be confusing as the HTTP method normally used to switch
to tunnel mode is CONNECT which is not obvious to people who haven't
read the HTTP specs that it ofcourse is the tunnel module taking care of
this..

connect:
   pro - related to the CONNECT method which is the primary reason to
this module existing
   con - the word connect is very overloaded as we connect to many
different things in different manners

> > Was planning on taking the ugly path of simply rename the CVS file in
> > place to preserve history if that is ok.. as we have not made any
> > Squid-3 releases this should be ok I think.
>
> better to copy the file, and cvs rm the old one. That way cvs -D still
> works correctly.

I see no problem with leaving a copy in the Attic until we are
completely done with it and no longer want to hear about the old name
(which should be not too long after 3.0 is branched I suppose).

> Yep. However, I'm mirroring all squid-3 commits in arch, which
> understands renames as renames.

How you do this mirroring I do not care ;-)

I assume your request is it that you want to have a chance to fix the
arch mirror before I go messing around with the file contents?