Re: squid 3 1 bug left

From: Robert Collins <robertc@dont-contact.us>
Date: 06 Feb 2003 10:14:51 +1100

On Thu, 2003-02-06 at 09:27, Henrik Nordstrom wrote:
> Robert Collins wrote:

> Some pro cons to aid in selecting a better name:
>
> ssl:
> pro - The protocol the CONNECT method is designed to tunnel
> con - Highly application specific of how the proxy is used, and not
> at all related to the actual action taking place in the proxy.
> con - Collides with the actual use of SSL within the proxy
>
> tunnel:
> pro - What is actually taking place. The module is responsible for
> tunnel mode operation.
> pro - may make even more sense if other tunnel mode operations are
> implemented sharing the same code
> con - might be confusing as the HTTP method normally used to switch
> to tunnel mode is CONNECT which is not obvious to people who haven't
> read the HTTP specs that it ofcourse is the tunnel module taking care of
> this..
>
> connect:
> pro - related to the CONNECT method which is the primary reason to
> this module existing
> con - the word connect is very overloaded as we connect to many
> different things in different manners

Which is why I suggested HttpConnect, not just 'connect' - to prevent
confusion from the overloading.

This is your call, I've not dug deep enough into this code to make an
informed vote.

> > better to copy the file, and cvs rm the old one. That way cvs -D still
> > works correctly.
>
> I see no problem with leaving a copy in the Attic until we are
> completely done with it and no longer want to hear about the old name
> (which should be not too long after 3.0 is branched I suppose).

Well, given that we went to the effort of preserving history, we should
keep it indefinately IMO. Still, I don't really care - minor detail.

> How you do this mirroring I do not care ;-)
>
> I assume your request is it that you want to have a chance to fix the
> arch mirror before I go messing around with the file contents?

Exactly. And that gap can be fairly small: as long as there are separate
CVS transactions, I'm happy.

--
GPG key available at: <http://users.bigpond.net.au/robertc/keys.txt>.