Re: Branching 3.0?

From: Robert Collins <robertc@dont-contact.us>
Date: 26 Apr 2003 22:25:56 +1000

On Sat, 2003-04-26 at 17:54, Henrik Nordstrom wrote:
> On 26 Apr 2003, Robert Collins wrote:
>
> > Well, I think that this is going to be difficult: All the developers
> > have various projects approaching 'integrate to HEAD' readiness. There
> > is -no- way that we can sensibly put everything aside for 6-10 months.
> > Thats why branching is so important: we feature freeze - and I mean
> > freeze - the branch, and -only- release blocker bugfixes get committed
> > (That is, bugs we would normally patch a released version to fix).
>
> I am not saying everything should be put aside for 6-10 months.

Sorry - I've had a truely hectic week, and ended up reading your mail at
3am.

> What I am saying:
>
> If you do not think what we have now in terms of features is what should
> become Squid-3.0, then entering PRE state is not OK in my opinion. Once
> PRE is entered the feature freeze should be maintained if possible.

I think that we have more than enough features to justify squid-3.0.

> Also, if you think that the feature freeze for Squid-3.1 is less than 6-10
> months away when 3.0 is about to enter PRE then it should be seriously
> considered if not some of the features planned for 3.1 should be in 3.0 to
> make the 3.1 release cyle better in relation to 3.0. If not you seriously
> risk loosing atteiontion on the 3.0 release.

I take your point, but I don't think it's a feasible heuristic... We
have so many pending features now, I don't think we'll ever have a
period where we can feature freeze, if we use that criteria: By the time
the features are in, there will be more in the pipeline...

I'd like to propose a different approach, which is to push for shorter
development-release cycles, with less aggregation of changes in each
release, combined with an increasingly capable self-test suite.

Having said that, I've no problem with tentatively slating 3.1 feature
freeze for nov...jan.

> Note: You may make a frozen DEVEL release at any time as a point of
> reference.

I'd love to, but I can't until we have the autotools fixed, and
last I checked (just now :}) - the squid group doesn't have access to
change that, only wheel.

Rob

--
GPG key available at: <http://users.bigpond.net.au/robertc/keys.txt>.