Re: Squid 2.5 proxying NTLM

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: Sat, 26 Apr 2003 10:12:17 +0200

On Saturday 26 April 2003 08.09, Gary Price \(ICT\) wrote:

> a while ago I posted to this list about proxying NTLM in Squid 2.3.
> I have since upgraded to 2.5 and I'm interested in implementing
> proxying for NTLM authentication. I notice that Squid now actively
> removes NTLM auth headers.

Yes, this because we know they cannot be proxied by Squid as Microsoft
violated fundamental aspects of HTTP connection management when
designing these unstandard authentication methods.

For NTLM and NEGOTIATE to become proxyable Squid must be teached about
the very different connection management requirements by these
non-HTTP authentication protocols.

See the squid-dev archives on connection pinning.