Re: Branching 3.0?

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: Sat, 26 Apr 2003 09:54:46 +0200 (CEST)

On 26 Apr 2003, Robert Collins wrote:

> Well, I think that this is going to be difficult: All the developers
> have various projects approaching 'integrate to HEAD' readiness. There
> is -no- way that we can sensibly put everything aside for 6-10 months.
> Thats why branching is so important: we feature freeze - and I mean
> freeze - the branch, and -only- release blocker bugfixes get committed
> (That is, bugs we would normally patch a released version to fix).

I am not saying everything should be put aside for 6-10 months.

What I am saying:

If you do not think what we have now in terms of features is what should
become Squid-3.0, then entering PRE state is not OK in my opinion. Once
PRE is entered the feature freeze should be maintained if possible.

Also, if you think that the feature freeze for Squid-3.1 is less than 6-10
months away when 3.0 is about to enter PRE then it should be seriously
considered if not some of the features planned for 3.1 should be in 3.0 to
make the 3.1 release cyle better in relation to 3.0. If not you seriously
risk loosing atteiontion on the 3.0 release.

Note: You may make a frozen DEVEL release at any time as a point of
reference.