Re: Squid-3.0 release planning

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: Wed, 7 May 2003 01:24:36 +0200

On Wednesday 07 May 2003 00.42, Robert Collins wrote:

> Here is an off-the-cuff outline of the process I'll be following:
>
> *) Finalise the list of to-be-included features.
> HEAD will be feature frozen from this point.
> *) Release a snapshot as DEVEL-X and announce on squid-users.
> *) Wait a couple of weeks for new bug reports on that - fix and
> repeat. *) When we get a fortnight with no new bug reports on a
> DEVEL snapshot, branch the code in CVS and release a PRE1 snapshot
> and announce on squid-users.
> HEAD will be no longer feature frozen from this point.
> *) Give each PRE release a fortnight for bugs, and when we go for a
> fortnight with no new bugs, release STABLE1.
>
> I'm not *set in stone* for the above. Comment if there are things
> you do / don't like about the above.

Basically looks great, but there is some minor adjustments I think
should be done to give a better distinction between the ideas of
DEVEL and PRE:

DEVEL lasts until HEAD is considered to match the to-be-included list
of features and there is no known obvious giant bugs preventing
intended features from working.

One HEAD matches the list of features with no known giant bugs, PRE
may be entered.

Once the worst bugs have been and fixed and the tree is believed to be
in reasonable shape, 3.0 may be forked and HEAD reopened (this is
probably around PRE3 but depends on the amount of bugs found)

When PRE has been stable for a fortnight with no known bugs which
needs to be fixed and no changes except for cosmetic corrections
(release notes etc), release STABLE1.

Starting with the PRE1 release, a ChangeLog should be kept and updated
for each new release, and bugzilla should be used for bug tacking.

The idea behind this is

 * DEVEL signifies it is a development release, and not all intended
features may yet exists or work as intended.

 * PRE signifies it is a PRE-release while we are working on finding
and fixing the bugs. Other than bugs all intended features should be
present and working.