Re: Become a Squid Developer

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: Sun, 7 Dec 2003 22:55:07 +0100 (CET)

Hi Eugene and thanks for your interest in becoming a Squid developer.
Instructions how to become a Squid developer can be found at the developer
web site <url:http://devel.squid-cache.org/howto.html>.

If you want to discuss the Squid code and implementation then it is
strongly recommended to subscribe to the squid-dev mailinglist. The rest
is optional but makes life easier.

But what you propose is most likely best done via a ICAP server
implementing the filtering process rather than modifying Squid. The
icap-2_5 branch reportedly supports sending request entities to the ICAP
server now so no modifications to Squid besides applying the icap-2_5
patch should be required. <url:http://devel.squid-cache.org/icap/>

When writing a ICAP server you can either start from one of the existing
frameworks, or write your own. The ICAP protocol as such is relatively
simple to implement. The main complexity is in the filter process,
especially if you consider filtering web-mail submissions for SPAM I
would think.