IDN issues

From: Bjoern Jacke <bjacke@dont-contact.us>
Date: Wed, 4 Feb 2004 15:26:28 +0100

Hi,

in the Squid FAQ there is written this:

--snip--
When there is a consensus in the DNS and HTTP standardization groups
on how to handle international domain names Squid will be changed to
support this if any changes to Squid will be required.
--snap--

Well, now IDN is standarized but I see a different problem here. Let's
assume a non-IDN-aware client sends a http request for the site
björn.j3e.de. Squid could of course resolve björn.j3e.de and return
the site to the client BUT I think there is no standard, which says in
which encoding clients should send the requests to the proxy. So squid
could just see that there comes a non-ASCII request but it doesn't
know what to do with it because the encoding is unknown. Is it
possible that IDN *just* makes sense to be implemented on client site,
not on proxy site? In that case the above section in the FAQ should
be updated that IDN is useless in squid.

Bjoern