Re: Server Side Connections.

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: Sat, 18 Sep 2004 18:52:59 +0200 (CEST)

On Sat, 18 Sep 2004, Jayanth Purushottam - SPAN wrote:

> I was interested to understand how the Squid behaves when there are two or
> more connections from hosts within a LAN to the same Web Server. Does it
> maintain seperate connections to the Web Server from each of the clients,
> and forward the requests to the Webserver through same connection for that
> client?

Squid maintains connections independenty clients<->squid and
squid<->upstream.

> Or does it forward the request through any one of the connections to that
> Web Server ?

Yes.

> Further is the behavior common amoung all HTTP proxies ?.

The HTTP standard mandates this behaviour to make proper utilization of
network resources, but it is not a MUST and implementations may differ. In
addition there is a few known broken web servers which assume one TCP
connection == one client, but most of these tend to be using SSL so you
usually do not notice (but some of our customers to notice when runnign
Squid as a reverse-proxy infront of such broken applications..)