RE: About SQUID and SNMP TRAPS , and snmp in general

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: Mon, 11 Jul 2005 16:37:41 +0200 (CEST)

On Mon, 11 Jul 2005, Lombao, Cesar wrote:

> I was taking a look on the source code, and, besides the functions
> provided by the UCM snmp library, I don't see any other code to send
> traps.

There was quite a bit of code deleted from the library some years back..
have a quite strong memory of a fair bit of this being related to traps
and set PDUs.

> In fact, I'm still trying to understand how this library and the
> snmp_core.cc and snmp_agent.cc modules work together.

the library is used for encoding/decoding. snmp_agent.cc defines the
general MIB extractors and snmp_core.c is the agent implementation (and
also defines the MIB for some reason.. but this part is better moved to
snmp_agent.cc)

The original agent in the CMU SNMP library is not used for mainly the same
reason the agent in net-snmp doesn't fit well within Squid I suppose.

> To send a trap is something, in theory, trivial. Open a dgram socket,
> and send the info to the trapsink.

Yes, and is why I think currently is easier to just resurrect/reimplement
the SNMP PDU processing components for this rather than to look into how
to fit a more modern SNMP agent into Squid.

> The point is not that, the point is all the details surronding that:
> MIB:
> Needs to be defined in the MIB the traps sent.
>
> TRAPS:
> Needs to be defined wich traps be sent. (When special errors happen?
> when MIB updated?)

Yes.

The two go pretty much together. When to send traps and what to include.

> CONFIGURATION:
> If SQUID uses its own snmp agent, then is needed to add a confguation
> line to set the trapsink destianation for the traps sent.

Yes.

> And of course, all the time I was talking about SNMPv1 only ;-)

Only desire to support SNMPv1/2c at this time. For SNMPv3 we better look
at using a modern agent.

Another point to consider is if ther is events requiring an SNMP Inform
message for somewhat reliable delivery, or if best effort traps is
sufficient.