Re: perl

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: Mon, 20 Feb 2006 00:19:22 +0100 (CET)

On Sat, 18 Feb 2006 abc wrote:

> I wish you wouldn't require "perl" to compile
> squid. Personally, I don't like perl, and I
> don't have it on my machines, and I think
> it would be best to allow people to compile
> squid without it. I am sure it's doable.
> Why not just use awk/sh or something?

patches eleminating the build dependency on perl is welcome.

we already use awk for other purposes (src/cf_gen_defines) so rewriting
the two build time perl scripts into awk would be the natural choice..

   src/mk-globals.pl
   src/mk-string-arrays.pl

but please keep in mind that awk is perhaps even less standard than perl,
with slightly different awk dialects on different OS:es.. (awk/nawk/gawk
and more)..