Re: squid-2.5 related work

From: Robert Collins <robertc@dont-contact.us>
Date: Fri, 14 Apr 2006 22:23:59 +1000

On Fri, 2006-04-14 at 10:12 +0200, Henrik Nordstrom wrote:
> fre 2006-04-14 klockan 08:25 +0800 skrev Adrian Chadd:
> > On Thu, Apr 13, 2006, Henrik Nordstrom wrote:
> >
> > > Should it be decided that Squid-2 is reopened then I would be more than
> > > happy to candidate for the the role as Squid-2 release manager, and am
> > > able to put at least as much work into this as I have done for the 2.5
> > > releases in the last years.
> >
> > Awesome. Have you ever played with monotone? :)
>
> Not yet. Still sufficiently happy with CVS, so I haven't been able to
> motivate me to look to deeply into other VC systems.
>
> Did look into arch and bazaar some year ago, and while it is quite
> powerful, in practice I found it harder to use than the existing CVS
> setups, and also very significantly slower when working with remote
> repositories.
>
> But being able to do temporarily disconnected versioned work without
> having to worry about resyncing does feel tempting, so maybe it's time
> to start looking for an alternative to CVS.

bzr 0.8 in beta now fixes many of the issues bazaar 1 [aka arch] had.

Specifically - there is no extra namespace, you just work with branches
at urls - equivalent to just having multiple CVS trees on disk, but with
disconnected work built in. It also solves the 'shared repositories are
hard' aspects of arch, and includes a drop-in replacement mode for CVS
users.

Yes, proslytising a little here.

Rob