2.6 beginning to take shape

From: Henrik Nordstrom <henrik@dont-contact.us>
Date: Tue, 16 May 2006 05:17:35 +0200

A fair amount of the planned patches has gone into 2.6 already. So far
it's a farily raw import of the existing and separately verified works
and not much verification has been done yet.

The Squid-2.6 page is updated with the progress.
http://squidwiki.kinkie.it/Squid-2.6 (merged entires marked with OK)

And a detailed list of changes available from
http://www.squid-cache.org/Versions/v2/2.6/changesets/

Next to go in is either the epoll or ssl update. Not yet 100% sure on
the order of these two as there is dependencies when they are combined..
ssl has a bit of peculiar I/O requirements where application I/O pattern
and socket I/O pattern is not always identical (which means SSL_read()
may need to write, and SSL_write() may need to read etc... not exacly
what Squid's little fd event loop had in mind).

Probably I'll bring them both in as they are to begin with, with a small
note that ssl isn't stable in combination with epoll. But it should work
about as good as the unpatched SSL in 2.5.STABLE however, i.e. it may
hang the connection in certain situations or cause 100% CPU in a few
other situations depending on the kind of mismatch..

Apart from epoll and ssl there is some external acl extensions in the
queue, connection pinning (Stevens variant), maybe ETag and the COSS and
related stuff Adrian is working on, plus a few other small things.

Hope to enter PRE in a few weeks time at most, with the goal of a
birthday release on July 1 to celebrate 10 years with Squid.
(squid-1.0.0 was released July 1, 1996).

Will start the nightly snapshots once ssl + epoll has been brought in.
Not very meaningful before that.