Re: VCS for squid3 development?

From: Robert Collins <robertc@dont-contact.us>
Date: Sat, 29 Dec 2007 05:24:39 +1100

On Fri, 2007-12-28 at 16:16 +0200, Tsantilas Christos wrote:
> Hi Robert,
>
> Which are the required steps from developers?
> Will we open our computers a morning and find all our development
> branches in the new system :-) ?

Probably not.

> What about the sourceforge developers repository?

Because bzr is natively distributed we don't need to have a dedicated
developers repository like we have with CVS - anyone using bzr will get
their own copy of the repository automatically; they can commit there as
often as they like, rollback, merge etc.

> Will be hosted in the
> squid main server?

Currently I know of one sourceforge like service that supports bzr -
launchpad.net (which is hosted by my employer). We can upload project
branches like the async-calls branch there, or to any other location we
want.

The requirements to publish a branch are minimal:
 - upload access via one of sftp/ftp/mounting/ssh
 - http access for others to read it

Other projects using distributed VCS tools often do not have a dedicated
development area, preferring to let individuals publish their own
branches; I had been assuming something like that - but its a good
question to raise and discuss.

-Rob