Re: Blocker bzr problem on Windows

From: Guido Serassio <guido.serassio@dont-contact.us>
Date: Tue, 15 Apr 2008 20:30:58 +0200

Hi Robert,

At 04:45 12/04/2008, Robert Collins wrote:
>On Fri, 2008-04-11 at 13:30 -0600, Alex Rousskov wrote:
> > On Fri, 2008-04-11 at 11:29 +0200, Guido Serassio wrote:
> >
> > > There is a very big problem using bzr on Windows:
> > >
> > > The files downloaded by bzr are in Unix text format, while
> > > CVS file are in DOS text format.
> > >
> > > This will totally broke the Windows build environment: Visual Studio
> > > doesn't like at all project files in Unix text format.
> > >
> > > Ironically this problem will help for the MSYS+MinGW environment
> > > support ... :-(
> > >
> > > I have found this discussion: http://bazaar-vcs.org/LineEndings, and
> > > here it seems that there is nothing to do ....
> >
> > Wow. Is this really true? I would have probably voted against bzr
> > migration if I knew that bzr still has no proper support for line
> > endings. I assumed that if poor subversion can handle them nicely, bzr
> > would have superb support for this basic and core feature.
>
>This page was mainly written by a bunch of folk that haven't sent in
>many patches to bzr at all (other than Alexander Belchenko, who is the
>main windows developer).
>
> > > There is a way to force the text file format ?
> >
> > The only thing I can suggest at this point (besides yelling at bzr
> > people), is to have a script that goes through all the files and flips
> > the line endings before and after each bzr session. I do not know what
> > scripting you have on Windows, but the script should be simple.
>
>That script is essentially the solution finally agreed on at the London
>bzr meeting; to hook in and filter files into/out of the bzr codebase.
>It should be done quite soon - we all consider it very important.

I hope that a simple and reliable solution will be available soon.

But my time resources are (and will be for the next months) limited
for family reasons.
So, while waiting for the fix to bzr, I will stop at all my
development work on Squid 3, focusing my little effort to squid 2.

I cannot waste my very limited time trying to fix the development
tools that I should use ..... :-(

Regards

Guido

-
Guido Serassio
Acme Consulting S.r.l. - Microsoft Certified Partner
Via Lucia Savarino, 1 10098 - Rivoli (TO) - ITALY
Tel. : +39.011.9530135 Fax. : +39.011.9781115
Email: guido.serassio@acmeconsulting.it
WWW: http://www.acmeconsulting.it/