Re: RFC: changing cachemgr URL

From: Henrik Nordstrom <henrik_at_henriknordstrom.net>
Date: Fri, 30 May 2008 14:05:39 +0200

On fre, 2008-05-30 at 09:59 +0200, Kinkie wrote:

> Regarding WHAT to get in there, at this time IMO plaintext is fine.
> Any other format would REQUIRE the intermediation of some software to
> be made easily readable, and in my opinion that would be bad. OTOH,
> adding an XML-based markup option might be useful for automated tools
> if it's not hard to implement.

An interesting task would be to replace the SNMP agent in Squid with
something more structured (and maintainable), and providing both SNMP
and XML access to that data.. and add mib entries for the few
interesting things we currently only have in cachemgr..

Adding an XML version of the current cache_object:// objects is not an
easy task as it's all manual printf style formatting with no structure
behind the data.

Well, to be honest that XML formatter may just as well be a frontend on
the SNMP agent, either in-process or as a separate service.

I don't know why so many consider SNMP inefficient for statistics
collection. It's a single UDP exchange each collection interval,
collecting just the data set you ask for. And also a well understood
protocol by most automata systems that may need to access such data..

The cache_object:// interface is really primarily meant to be used
interactively by humans, and should not be considered a stable interface
beyond the simple text formatting format that allows cachemgr.cgi to
render it reasonably in tables and lists..