Re: RFC: changing cachemgr URL

From: Kinkie <gkinkie_at_gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 30 May 2008 09:59:24 +0200

On Fri, May 30, 2008 at 2:19 AM, Robert Collins
<robertc_at_robertcollins.net> wrote:
> On Thu, 2008-05-29 at 17:05 +0200, Kinkie wrote:
>> Hi all,
>> I'd like to have everyone's input on the option of moving cachemgr
>> from its current "location" to a proper HTTP squid-internal-* prefix.
>> This would make the development of cachemgr-related tools much easier.
>
> I think it would be nice for it to be an http resource rather than a
> custom protocol; but at the same time I wonder if we want the core to
> remain plain text; perhaps something more extensible/flexible would be a
> good idea.
> Alternatively, making a web service to run on the same machine and
> interrogate squid via the current protocol isn't so hard - see
> cachemgr.cgi ;P.

We're talking about different things here. One is how to get to the
content, the other one what content should be returned.
First thing, how to get to the content: see my other mail, short
summary: "it's HTTP, let's call it HTTP".

Regarding WHAT to get in there, at this time IMO plaintext is fine.
Any other format would REQUIRE the intermediation of some software to
be made easily readable, and in my opinion that would be bad. OTOH,
adding an XML-based markup option might be useful for automated tools
if it's not hard to implement.

--
 /kinkie