Re: Merging current Cacheboy changes into Squid-2.HEAD ?

From: Amos Jeffries <squid3_at_treenet.co.nz>
Date: Fri, 11 Jul 2008 01:06:12 +1200

Adrian Chadd wrote:
> 2008/7/8 Henrik Nordstrom <henrik_at_henriknordstrom.net>:
>
>> It's too early to say if that will result in an immediate 2.8 release.
>> Depends on what you have done.
>>
>> So yes, you are more than welcome to split cacheboy up in reviewable
>> changes and submit them for merge. Perhaps beginning with an high level
>> description of your goals (at code level) for this round of merges.
>
> I wouldn't expect it to be an immediate Squid-2.8 release but I'd
> first like some discussion about what would constitute enough.
>
> The high level goal here is to shuffle code around into
> mostly-seperate functional units in preparation for further work.
>
> The problem is that I don't really see the point in shuffling things
> back into Squid-2 if the mostly-stated project direction is elsewhere.

Hmm, I'm interested in seeing your code shuffling go in. If only to
measure it against the shuffling done/needed to modularize the same
things in 3.x. Your changes are after all, still currently duplicating
the cleanups shuffling in 3.x but in a C way.

As Mark said earlier, its useless making a full formal release if users
can't get a visible improvement out of it. BUT, shuffling that organises
things is usually far better than leaving it a mess. Even if it means
the 2.8 change is grows larger waiting for the visible bit.