Re: 3.1 BRANCH - any pending patches?

From: Amos Jeffries <squid3_at_treenet.co.nz>
Date: Wed, 8 Oct 2008 13:07:57 +1300 (NZDT)

> On Tue, 2008-10-07 at 23:53 +1300, Amos Jeffries wrote:
>> Alex Rousskov wrote:
>> trunk.
>> >
>> > I thought we planned to do the source layout changes _before_
>> branching.
>> > Did I misunderstood or did the plans change? It would be much easier
>> > shovel the code between trunk and a fresh branch if the code has the
>> > same basic layout...
>>
>> We did plan that initially. Though IIRC I was the holdout/veto on the
>> initial import. I've since been converted.
>> The only catch is that we all need to follow the maintenance cycle. To
>> do the merges back in order as they were added to HEAD in the first
>> place.
>
> Do you mean that layout changes should go into HEAD and then you will
> move them to the 3.1 branch? And then we will reformat HEAD and you will
> propagate that to the branch?

Yes to both. I'm moving up my schedule from weekly checks to almost-daily
until its done. If you feel thats not fast enough I'll teach you the
relevant maintenance tasks so we can both do it in tandem.

> N.B. If you want to make a 3.1.0.0 or 3.1.0.1 snapshot before the last
> set of patches (if any), layout changes, and reformatting, please go
> ahead and do it. I do not think one depends on the other.

HEAD is still waiting the reformat before it can be opened generally.
I'm not even thinking about 3.1.0.1 until the format is complete (I want
at least new patches to be non-clashing).
To me layout now seems to be more of a gradual thing. We are doing it dir
by dir yes? It's going to take some time and can be done through the life
of 3.1.0.*.

Amos