Re: Question regarding authenticators

From: Amos Jeffries <squid3_at_treenet.co.nz>
Date: Wed, 10 Dec 2008 10:41:08 +1300

András Mikó wrote:
> Dear Squid-Cache Developer Team!
>
> I was searching for documentation about authenticators, but couldn't
> find any regarding my particular question.
>
> It is: how does squid-cache handle authenticators, which exits in
> middle of running?
> - will they be restarted, or
> - just left alone killed.

Squid simply closes the FD pipe to the helper. Visible as EOL or a
null-terinator byte by the helper. The helper is expected to shut itself
down at that point.

Squid will start fully new helpers if it needs to afterwards.

> It would be a great help, if You could point out the correct function
> in squid regarding this issue.

src/main.cc - search for Restart. Shutdown. and the things they call.

> The need: i have obtained an authenticator (mysql_auth), but it goes
> dead, if the connection breaks.

If the link to squid dies the helper is expected to abort all actions
and shutdown.

If the link to mysql dies the helper is expected to repair and resume if
possible.

Helper may shutdown on fatal db link errors. But repeated helper
shutdown are caught and result in terminating squid, so helper repairs
should be aggressively tried before aborting.

> I was wondering, if i had to reconnect in module, or could it be
> resumed by squid.
>
> I'm looking forward hearing from You.
>
> Thankfully Yours,
> Andras MIKO

Please be using
   Current Beta Squid 3.1.0.3 or 3.0.STABLE11-RC1