Re: Squid 3.1.0.5 uses memory without bounds

From: Henrik Nordstrom <henrik_at_henriknordstrom.net>
Date: Sun, 15 Feb 2009 18:33:41 +0100

lör 2009-02-14 klockan 11:35 +0100 skrev Steinar H. Gunderson:
> On Fri, Feb 13, 2009 at 09:20:24AM -0700, Alex Rousskov wrote:
> > Was --enable-valgrind used last time you reconfigured and rebuilt
> > Squid from scratch?
>
> Yes. It didn't actually appear to do much, though.

In squid-3 it's --enable-valgdind-debug

If you get a valgrind report in cache.log (or stderr) when visiting the
memory statistics cahemgre page (mgr:mem) then it's compiled correctly.
I think there is also a leak summary in the page itself.

With this enabled and running under valgrind the memory allocation
policy changes slightly to allow for better leak tracing.

> The Valgrind traces are inaccurate for the still reachable objects, I'm
> pretty sure. (The pprof traces are better there.) For the actual leaks I have
> more faith in them. :-)

There is two items being the main interesting ones here, both in a
running snapshot, not at shutdown:

a) Confirmed leaks by valgrind.

b) Memory pools which don't stop growing. Identified by their age being
0.0 all the time.

and additionally

c) Memory access errors reported by valgrind.