Randomly getting ERR_ICAP_FAILURE - Error 27

From: makuchaku <maku_at_makuchaku.info>
Date: Mon, 16 Feb 2009 10:09:33 +0530

Hello all,

This is my maiden attempt at hacking Squid's codebase.

I am trying to modify the example adapter in the ecap_adapter_sample
tarball - such that, each "</title>" found in the virgin body is
replaced by " - Modified</title>". This is just to understand how the
adapter is interfaced with libecap and squid.

My code works when the response contains Content-Type with "text/html"
and is Content-Encoding is _not_ gzip.

However, during this working, squid randomly fails on previously
working websites with "ERR_ICAP_FAILURE - Error 27" error in the
response headers and shows the following error inside browser.
The following error was encountered while trying to retrieve the URL:
http://apnabill.com/
    ICAP protocol error.

The system returned: (27) File too large
This means that some aspect of the ICAP communication failed.
Some possible problems are:
      The ICAP server is not reachable.
      An Illegal response was received from the ICAP server.

- This behavior is completely random (atleast to me :-) ) and goes
away when I refresh the page. It comes back randomly if I keep hitting
the refresh button.
- I have disabled Squid caching and all the responses are a TCP_MISS
- I'm running self compiled squid 3.1 with --enable-ecap on Ubuntu 8.10

The code I am hacking is at http://gist.github.com/65001

Since this is my maiden attempt at Squid hacking, please do
suggest/point-out any mistakes I might be doing :))

Thanks a ton for the help!

Regards,
Maku
http://www.makuchaku.info