Re: Randomly getting ERR_ICAP_FAILURE - Error 27

From: Alex Rousskov <rousskov_at_measurement-factory.com>
Date: Tue, 17 Feb 2009 23:41:27 -0700

On 02/15/2009 09:39 PM, मयंक जैन (makuchaku) wrote:
> I am trying to modify the example adapter in the ecap_adapter_sample
> tarball - such that, each "</title>" found in the virgin body is
> replaced by " - Modified</title>". This is just to understand how the
> adapter is interfaced with libecap and squid.

Hello Maku,

    Ideally, your adapter should not interface with Squid, just with
libecap.
> My code works when the response contains Content-Type with "text/html"
> and is Content-Encoding is _not_ gzip.
>
> However, during this working, squid randomly fails on previously
> working websites with "ERR_ICAP_FAILURE - Error 27" error in the
> response headers and shows the following error inside browser.
> The following error was encountered while trying to retrieve the URL:
> http://apnabill.com/
> ICAP protocol error.
>
> The system returned: (27) File too large
> This means that some aspect of the ICAP communication failed.
> Some possible problems are:
> The ICAP server is not reachable.
> An Illegal response was received from the ICAP server.

Please check that you have applied Squid and eCAP sample patches posted
as bug fixes at the URL below. In particular, make sure your adapter
tells the host application to consume virgin body content that is no
longer needed.

     https://launchpad.net/ecap

If those fixes do not help, please post a cache.log trace with full
debugging enabled (debug_options ALL,9) and containing the failing
transaction. You can do that here if you think there is a Squid bug.
Otherwise, the eCAP bug reporting or question asking interface may be
more appropriate.

HTH,

Alex.