monitoring squid environment data sources

From: Amos Jeffries <squid3_at_treenet.co.nz>
Date: Tue, 29 Sep 2009 14:06:49 +1200

I've been considering the growing number of requests from people needing
squid to monitor various configuration and environment stuff and thinking
about way to do it nicely.

It seems to me that the master process might be assigned to monitor the
upstate of the child process and additionally set a watch on
filemtime/filectime of:

resolv.conf
hosts file
squid.conf and all include'd files.
helper binaries/scripts
local host IPs (bit tricky on non-windows as this may block)?
other stuff?

Generating a reconfigure signal to the child if any of the above have
changes noted since last monitor cycle.

Controlled by the presence (on) or absence (off) of command line option -M
so that we can know whether to set or not set watch events on config files
before loading squid.conf.

Maybe optional squid.conf settings to turn off individual monitors if we
really need to monitor some but not others.

We already monitor the IP address for windows controlled via a squid.conf
setting. Guido would that mechanism be workable from a command line option
instead?

Ideas comments?

Amos