R: monitoring squid environment data sources

From: Guido Serassio <guido.serassio_at_acmeconsulting.it>
Date: Tue, 29 Sep 2009 16:54:46 +0200

Hi Amos,

> I've been considering the growing number of requests from people
needing
> squid to monitor various configuration and environment stuff and
thinking
> about way to do it nicely.
>
> It seems to me that the master process might be assigned to monitor
the
> upstate of the child process and additionally set a watch on
> filemtime/filectime of:
>
> resolv.conf
> hosts file
> squid.conf and all include'd files.
> helper binaries/scripts
> local host IPs (bit tricky on non-windows as this may block)?
> other stuff?
>
> Generating a reconfigure signal to the child if any of the above have
> changes noted since last monitor cycle.
>
> Controlled by the presence (on) or absence (off) of command line
option -M
> so that we can know whether to set or not set watch events on config
files
> before loading squid.conf.
>
> Maybe optional squid.conf settings to turn off individual monitors if
we
> really need to monitor some but not others.
>
> We already monitor the IP address for windows controlled via a
squid.conf
> setting. Guido would that mechanism be workable from a command line
option
> instead?
>
> Ideas comments?

The IP monitor on Windows is very simple because is based on System
calls: it's just a sleeping thread registered into Windows network API.
Yes, it could be controlled from everywhere .... :-)
Currently the only restriction is that the Squid Windows services must
be restarted to enable/disable IP monitoring.

Some proposal about monitoring:
1) I think that squid.conf settings to turn off individual monitors are
very
   useful, because not all monitor are needed on all platforms (i.e. :
there
   is no resolv.conf on native Windows, registry is used instead).
2) We should also have for the new squid.conf monitoring settings the
   capability of different platform dependent default values.

I agree with Henrik about the monitors placement.

Regards

Guido

Guido Serassio
Acme Consulting S.r.l.
Microsoft Gold Certified Partner
Via Lucia Savarino, 1 10098 - Rivoli (TO) - ITALY
Tel. : +39.011.9530135 Fax. : +39.011.9781115
Email: guido.serassio_at_acmeconsulting.it
WWW: http://www.acmeconsulting.it