Re: monitoring squid environment data sources

From: Amos Jeffries <squid3_at_treenet.co.nz>
Date: Wed, 30 Sep 2009 02:47:09 +1300

Henrik Nordstrom wrote:
> tis 2009-09-29 klockan 14:06 +1200 skrev Amos Jeffries:
>
>> It seems to me that the master process might be assigned to monitor the
>> upstate of the child process and additionally set a watch on
>
> Except that the master process is entirely optional and generally not
> even desired if you use a smart init system like upstart.

Okay. Looking at it deeper since it seems the execvp method the parent
uses to 'monitor' the child also makes it impossible to add other
monitoring stuff at that level.

> Additionally, a full reconfigure only because resolv.conf changed is a
> bit on the heavy side imho.

I'm all for something less intrusive. But that is all we have at
present. Particularly for monitoring the config files.

> And finally, as both resolv.conf and hosts paths is configuratble from
> squid.conf the current used path and what the master process remembers
> may differ

Aye.

>> local host IPs (bit tricky on non-windows as this may block)?
>
> Linux uses netlink messages. non-blocking access available.

Wonderful.

> I think my preference is to get these monitors into the main process.

Agreed now.

Please be using
   Current Beta Squid 3.1.0.14