Re: Upgrade repository format for trunk?

From: Alex Rousskov <rousskov_at_measurement-factory.com>
Date: Thu, 25 Mar 2010 15:29:14 -0600

On 03/25/2010 02:50 PM, Robert Collins wrote:
> On Thu, 2010-03-25 at 10:40 -0600, Alex Rousskov wrote:
>> On 03/25/2010 10:06 AM, Kinkie wrote:
>>> I've noticed that the bzr repository for trunk is based on an
>>> ancient "pack-0.92" repo format.
>>> After a few emails with Robert his recommendation is to upgrade the
>>> repo format to format 2a .
>>> Does anyone see any reason why this should not be done?
>> Has Robert promised no bad side-effects?
>
> Everyone will *need* bzr 2.0.x, or newer. (2.1.0 recommended,
> naturally). bzr has moved to a micro-release every month, so 2.0.0 is
> now 7 months old.

Sigh. I would rather not upgrade then. I do not know how to move from
bzr 1.3 to bzr 2.0.x on Red Hat box that I have to use for some of the
development, and I doubt somebody here would enjoy educating me on that
process... Besides, even Ubuntu 9.10 only has bzr v2.0.2 by default.
Thus, we would be cutting it pretty close to bleeding edge for many.

Bzr folks are very good at making lots of releases but the world is
apparently incapable of moving with the same speed!

> 2a is much more compact on disk, and faster across the board. But
> everyone will need to upgrade their own repositories, which can take a
> bit of time (or delete them and pull anew).

If nothing else, this will require instruction on how to upgrade the
everyone repositories. I can support the upgrade once those instructions
work for me :-).

Cheers,

Alex.