Re: [RFC] Squid 3.1 ports

From: Alex Rousskov <rousskov_at_measurement-factory.com>
Date: Wed, 01 Feb 2012 09:02:58 -0700

On 02/01/2012 01:10 AM, Amos Jeffries wrote:

> Opinions please.
>
> There are three relatively large alterations in 3.2 which I'm undecided
> about whether to port to 3.1.
>
> r11497 Henrik - Disable OpenSSL SSL/TLS Bug #workarounds by default
>
> r11495 Henrik - Send DNS A and AAAA queries in parallel
>
> r11494 Christos - trimMemory for unswappable objects
>
> Their full diff can be found in the "not yet merged" section of
> http://master.squid-cache.org/Versions/v3/3.2/changesets/merge.html
>
> To me they all seem important, but are large enough that worrying about
> problems for the stable series also seems prudent.
>
> Does anyone think there is sufficient need to port any of these to 3.1?
> this weekends release or a few months away?

The "Disable OpenSSL SSL/TLS Bug #workarounds by default" change seems
very small to me as far as code is concerned, but it sounds like it may
have significant side effects: There could be deployed proxies that were
running fine with "ALL" as the default and will now fail to negotiate
SSL. If "ALL" is indeed a security risk, then this change should be
ported, but perhaps it is prudent to wait a few months first.

If "Send DNS A and AAAA queries in parallel" is indeed just a
performance improvement, then I agree with Kinkie that we should not
port it unless there is a very strong demand for it or Henrik is 100%
certain that code is flawless. The DNS code has had a lot of subtle bugs
and perhaps it is better to leave it undisturbed in the stable version.

Christos, please correct me if I am wrong, but I believe the "trimMemory
for unswappable objects" change is specific to v3.2 as it fixes my
memory management bug introduced with shared cache changes. There should
be no need (and it would be impossible) to port it to v3.1.

HTH,

Alex.