Re: Native FTP proxying

From: Alex Rousskov <rousskov_at_measurement-factory.com>
Date: Tue, 04 Sep 2012 12:22:22 -0600

On 08/17/2012 06:47 PM, Henrik Nordström wrote:
> fre 2012-08-17 klockan 18:03 -0600 skrev Alex Rousskov:
>> What do you think? Should a quality implementation of native FTP support
>> be accepted by the Squid Project (with specific major design choices to
>> be discussed before the development, as usual)?

> A FTP client-side might be accepted, allowing Squid to act as an
> ftp->ftp gateway using HTTP semantics internally, even accepting
> ftp->http gatewaying if you want. But not sure it makes sense to add
> native FTP proxy support.

Can you clarify the difference between "ftp->ftp gateway" and "native
FTP proxy support"? Please assume that we are "using HTTP semantics
internally" in both cases, which I interpret as not altering the
forward.cc and Store code much -- the new FTP code will convert FTP
commands into HTTP messages for internal processing and the code outside
FTP client and server modules will remain pretty much the same.

Thank you,

Alex.