Re: BZR repository upgrade re-proposal.

From: Henrik Nordström <henrik_at_henriknordstrom.net>
Date: Tue, 04 Sep 2012 22:56:40 +0200

tis 2012-09-04 klockan 11:00 -0600 skrev Alex Rousskov:

> It would be nice to have specific instructions on how to update a local
> branch to support 2a. I see "bzr upgrade" command but it is not clear
> whether that is sufficient, especially with all the talk about two
> repositories (old and 2a).

upgrade is sufficient, but quite time consuming even if you only have
one branch to upgrade as it needs to redo the complete history from
revision 1.

An alternative is to reuse the already upgraded repository to avoid
upgrading past revisions already upgraded. This is done by using a
shared repository (many branches sharing the same store) where you first
create branches the already upgraded branches and then your branches.

  bzr init-repo squid-new
  cd squid-new
  bzr branch bzr+ssh://bzr.squid-cache.org/bzr/squid3/trunk
  bzr branch bzr+ssh://bzr.squid-cache.org/bzr/squid3/3.2
  bzr branch bzr+ssh://bzr.squid-cache.org/bzr/squid3/3.1
  bzr branch bzr+ssh://bzr.squid-cache.org/bzr/squid3/3.0
  bzr branch /path/to/your/repo name
  [repeat for each branch]

you need to reset push/pull locations etc after.

you can rename/move things as you please, including a full rename of the
main repository path (squid-new). the only requirement is that branches
need to stay somewhere below the repository location.