Re: [MERGE] debugs message improvement: use HERE macro wherever sensible

From: Kinkie <gkinkie_at_gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 5 Nov 2012 16:47:05 +0100

On Mon, Nov 5, 2012 at 4:19 PM, Alex Rousskov
<rousskov_at_measurement-factory.com> wrote:
> On 11/05/2012 02:36 AM, Kinkie wrote:
>> Hi all,
>> at lp:~kinkie/squid/sourceformat I have a work branch aiming at
>> using HERE in debugs() messages wherever sensible.
>> Apart from the main goal, there's a few typo fixes and a few wording
>> improvements. No functional changes.
>> The patch is ~11k lines so far, with ~1400 changes, I'm about halfway through.
>> Any preference on how to review? Or may I just commit once it passes a
>> full testsuite build?
>
> These kind of widespread changes will cause a lot of conflicts with
> pending patches but will not significantly improve code quality or
> functionality in most cases. Is it wise to merge this at all?

There's two benefits IMO:
- in many cases the function names displayed in the messages are just
plain wrong (obsolete) or confusing - there's functions which hop from
HERE to hand-coded wrong function names.
- it should reduce the memory footprint as HERE strings can get
aliased by the compiler

Note that almost all changes are one-liners.

> If the decision is to merge, please merge into trunk _and_ v3.3 (at the
> very least) to minimize porting overheads.

Fine with me. I'll suspend making further changes until a consensus is reached.

> My current preference is to change debugs() to use HERE when the
> surrounding code has to be changed anyway OR when there is a good reason
> to add HERE to that specific debugs() line.

I'm aiming at "let's get rid of the pain now" approach, but I don't
want to cause more pain than I'm aiming to solve :)

> Long-term, we should consider making HERE in debugs() at level 2 or
> higher an automatic/default behavior. This will require some work, but I
> think it is possible, and I think it can even accommodate existing
> debugs() statements (with or without HERE) _without_ changing them.

It's hairy at best, if it can even be done, as it depends on cpp
predefined macro magic (__LINE__, __FILE__ etc).

--
    /kinkie