To parent or not to parent...

From: Daniel O'Callaghan <danny@dont-contact.us>
Date: Fri, 21 Jun 1996 13:51:14 +1000 (EST)

Duane, Henrik, and everyone,

I don't know why I (or anyone else) has not thought of this before, but
it seems to me that outside a firewall situation there is not much point
in making a parent proxy a non-cacheable request.

Many (most) of the requests which result in an uncacheable response can be
determined from the request itself - POST, GET with a '?', anything with
cgi-bin, imagemaps, ssl etc.

For Squid v 1.1, could we put in code to support:

"parent_cacheable_only yes" in squid.conf and DIRECT_UNCACHEABLE in
hierarchy.log.

Should not be too hard. Probably should get put into the browsers
themselves to reduce the load on proxy servers.

The ultimate aim is to make cache hierarchies such as NLANR workable by
only giving them useful work to do, instead of loading them as non
caching proxies for uncacheable documents and methods.

Danny