Re: Files not cached

From: James R Grinter <jrg@dont-contact.us>
Date: Wed, 14 Aug 1996 15:49:27 +0000

On Wed 14 Aug, 1996, Pete Philips <pete@corp.netcom.net.uk> wrote:
>time difference between that and the current timestamp. Am I right in
>thinking that an AVI cannot have a last modified timestamp so the
>former will always apply?

sure it can:

HTTP/1.0 200 OK
Server: Netscape-Commerce/1.1
Date: Wednesday, 14-Aug-96 14:44:29 GMT
Last-modified: Tuesday, 02-Apr-96 18:33:06 GMT

(for the url you quote)

>Anyway, the test in question:
>
>http://www.movies.warnerbros.com/twister/dld/trailer.avi
>
>is never cached.

I expect the answer involves the size of the file (> 4MB). The default
squid.conf has, if I remember, an upper bound of 4MB on cached files.

# You cannot have a max object size that is greater than
# cache_mem. We recommend that max object sizes are no greater
# than (cache_mem / 4).
#
# Objects greater than max-obj-size will be proxied, but not
# cached.

( I think cache_mem defaults to 16MB )

-- jrg.