Re: parent and neighbor

From: Duane Wessels <wessels>
Date: Wed, 14 Aug 96 09:07:44 -0700

gerhard.winkler@univie.ac.at writes:

>Hi,
>
>I want to configure a partner cache as parent and neigbor at the same
>time. This means in detail I want to have this cache as a parent for one
>specific domain and as a neigbor for some (or all) other domains.
>
>How can this be done?
>
>The only solution I know is to use two different names for the same host.
>In one cache_host definition it's defined as parent and in the second one
>it's definied as neighbor. Then the corresponding cache_host_domain
>rules can be specified for different domains.
>
>But this solution has the disadvantage that I need to setup a second
>name (CNAME) for this host.
>
>Is there any other solution for that or do I miss something?

I think it won't work. When an ICP reply comes back from a neighbor we
look up the IP address from the recv() call to map it into our list of
neighbors. Rather than needing separate host names, you need two IP
addresses. And you'd have to get the neighbor to send the reply on a
specific address.

But what you want to do can be added to version 1.1.

Duane W.