Re: Newbie type questions

From: Benarson Behajaina R. <Benarson.Behajaina@dont-contact.us>
Date: Tue, 20 Aug 1996 08:53:45 +0200 (MET DST)

> Hi,
>
> I'm a new squid users (just installed 1.0.7 today on my ISP server, been
> playing with 1.0.6 on my own machine for a week now). I used to run CERN
> which was good until the cache directory filled up with host names, then
> it slowed down a lot. If you ever try doing an ls inside the http
> directory of the CERN cache directory, you can see why it's slow.
>
> Now for the questions:
>
> 4) When I run the cgi-bin machemgr.cgi program it displays a password
> field. What's this used for? And when you say for entering a password,
> where do I configure what the password should be? So far I have set
> acl's to limit access to my domain, but I want to set a password
> so only I can access the cache manager program.

  At first if you run squid now, I supposed that you've already used
the Harvest Cache. About this cache manager interface, you can see the
explanation, from Harvest Release-Notes-*.txt. where the contents are:

" In order to shut down the cache from the CGI program a password must be
provided. The password is taken from the /etc/passwd file for the user
'cache'. If there is no user 'cache' in the system password file, then
the cache cannot be shut down from the cachemgr.cgi program.
Note that the "shutdown" command causes the current cache process to
exit. If the "RunCache" script is running, another cache process will
be automatically restarted (this is due to the command "while :" in the
RunCache script)"

  So, you can shutdown the squid. But, I had the problem to shutdown the
squid, 'cause the users' password are not included in the /etc/passwd
file but in the /etc/shadow. In this case, what to do ???

        Benarson.

> Thanks.
> -- +--------------------------------------------------------------+
> . | John Saunders - John.Saunders@scitec.com.au (Work) |
> ,--_|\ | - john@nlc.net.au (Home) |
> / Oz \ | - http://www.nlc.net.au/~john/ |
> \_,--\_/ | SCITEC LIMITED - Phone +61 2 9428 9563 - Fax +61 2 9428 9933 |
> v | "Alcatraz triathalon: dig, swim, run" |

       Email      :       Benarson.Behajaina@swh.sk
       Email      :       benarson@viktoria.drp.fmph.uniba.sk
       Phone      :       +42 (07)  378 3560
       Fax        :       +42 (07)  377 433