Re: How to start squid?

From: Sextl Jonas <jonny@dont-contact.us>
Date: Wed, 11 Sep 1996 23:37:51 +0100 (GMT+0100)

> > mw@globe.de writes:
> >
> > >Hi,
> > >
> > >I am thinking about the best and most secure way to start squid.
> > >This time, I start it from a script that is invoked once at boot time, but
> > >that does not satisfy me. Because if due to any circumstance stopping squid,
> > >it is never re-started. How can I manage to be sure squid is always up?

We use another very simple mechanism:

Put the squid in a loop that is started during your startup-scripts in
the background:

-------------
while : ; do
  /usr/local/squid/bin/squid <options>
  sleep 5
done &

This loop always starts squid 5 seconds after it terminated due to any
circumstance. Note: This can only be done if squid doesn't go to the
background automatically, but this isn't the case yet. Otherwise you
would get an serious overload, because squid is started every 5 seconds
and this would be fatal.

Jonny

< Sextl Jonas
< e-Mail: jonny@dillingen.de