Re: Pre-fetching some URLs

From: Dancer <program@dont-contact.us>
Date: Tue, 22 Oct 1996 11:51:28 +1000

Ong Beng Hui wrote:

> > > Could someone telle me how perform the same output as
> > > the one done by cachemgr.cgi about stats/object to get the
> > > extensive list of objects in the cache.
> >
> > url_get cache_object://localhost/stats/objects | awk '{print $2}' >
> > the-file
>
> Hi,
>
> I try to use geturl to attempt to "prefetch" some of
> the more popular sites according to my cache statistics.
> But it didn't help much in the hit rate.
>
> I wonder if anyone archieve significant performance
> increase with the use of prefetch technique.
>
> By the way, what is the typical hit rate that you might
> be getting ? I am getting around 40% rate hit and for
> some of the people that I speak to, they said it is
> pretty high.

We're running a 900MB cache here. We peak at around a 25% hit-rate. We
further try to improve things by having each subnet hub (we have nine
subnet hubs connected to the central hub, which has the central proxy)
also running a squid cache on whatever amount of disk-space they can
spare. I imagine they are getting 'similar' hit-rates, and thus our
overall percentage will actually be a bit higher.

Either that, or I'm not thinking this through very well. Comments?