Re: Pre-fetching some URLs

From: Duane Wessels <wessels>
Date: Thu, 24 Oct 96 11:14:49 -0700

purcell@rmcs.cranfield.ac.uk writes:

>As a suggestion, it may be a good idea to have ttl_pattern (or what it is
>called once 1.1 moves away from ttl) uncommented by default as this will be
>what will be initially installed and operated. Then if objects are
>remaining stale in the cache for too long ttl_pattern can be tweaked after
>installation.

I have never gotten mail saying "Wow, you have choosen perfect defaults!"
We only get feedback when someone thinks the defaults are wrong.

If this is a big problem, then we should form some sort of group (with
votes etc.) to select appropriate default values.

My experience is that people (especially users) would rather have
fresh objects from half-full caches than stale objects from full ones.

Duane W.