Re: Java proxy gatewaying

From: Jon Piesing <jon@dont-contact.us>
Date: Tue, 29 Oct 1996 17:40:37 GMT

As far as I know, the Java network code doesn't support firewalls or proxys
directly. HotJava does but I think that is coded in the browser (i.e. in the
application).

If the requests the Java code is making use standard protocols then it
might be possible to hack something but I've not heard of anybody doing this.
If the requests the Java code is making use arbitrary protocols then I
think that even if you could hack that code, your firewall probably won't
let the packets through.

I think you're out of luck. We have machines outside our firewall for
things just like this.

Jon