Artificially Intelligent Squid

From: Chris Jason Richards <richards@dont-contact.us>
Date: Sun, 10 Nov 1996 18:08:24 -0600

There are several sites on the net that update their pages at a specific time
each and every day, or maybe 5/7 days ... and at the same time. Most of the
pages have a ttl near 3 hours (assuming 20%).

If the page is cached at 7:00am, but is updated at 9:00am, it isn't "fresh".
The users have to hit reload (I know, waaahh); some don't even realize it.
Daily updates may not be that big of a problem, but weekly updated pages
could be.

Is it possible for squid to use some sort of ai algorithm to determine if a
page has recurrent updates at approximately the same time? Not being a huge
AI buff, I have no idea the requirements on the CPU... nor the extra disk
usage for data keeping.

Just an idea to throw out :) It probably isn't worth the effort.

cjr

Chris Richards                         | Texas A&M University
richards@tamu.edu                      | Department of Computer Science
http://www.cs.tamu.edu/people/richards | Internet Publishing Services
http://grover.bre.com/                 | Internet System Programmer