squid and ssl proxying?

From: Aaron Howell <a.howell@dont-contact.us>
Date: Sun, 08 Dec 1996 14:09:18 +1000 (EST)

Hi there. I don't know if this can be done but...
I am running lynx and have need to access ssl based urls for university
purposes.
Unfortunately, the patches to allow lynx to work with ssl are written
inside the U.S, and hence cannot legally be exported for use in Australia.
I'm not going to go into my opinions on the U.S's, attitude to export
restrictions, but anyway, I am wondering if there is any way to have squid
do the decoding of ssl urls for you, that is, you can to squid with the
url https://some.site.dom and squid gets and decodes the url, then
forwards it back to your browser in this case lynx, in a format which it
can understand.
In this way I would run a small squid cache on my local machine and point
requests for ssl urls https: and snews: to the squid cache for retrieval.
Is there any way of doing this? Is there anything else I can get that will
act as an intermediary between a squid cache and an ssl url to do the
decoding? or between the browser and the squid cache?
Please reply to me directly, I'm not on the list.
Thanks very much.
Aaron <who is getting quite desperate for ideas>.

Aaron Howell. Q.U.T Equity Department, Technical Support/Training.
work: a.howell@qut.edu.au Linux/Networking Support.
home: a.howell@student.qut.edu.au phone +61-19-956-467
www: http://www.cnl.com.au/~aaron irc: DaRkAnGeL
Take an active stand against the NTEU wage claim.
Let them know loud and clear that blackmail will not be tollerated.
Defend the rights of students to fair and reasonable delivery of marks,
after all, we work too.