Re: Squid QUICKSTART (Was: protecting local resources )

From: Tom Minchin <tom@dont-contact.us>
Date: Sat, 4 Jan 1997 17:41:54 +1100 (EST)

> On Fri, 3 Jan 1997, Stephane Bortzmeyer wrote:
> > On Thursday 2 January 97, at 2 h 37, the keyboard of Duane Wessels
> > <wessels@nlanr.net> wrote:
> >
> > > At the various conferences and
> > > workshops I have heard numerous people say that its too difficult to
> > > properly configure a web cache, that it needs to be an order of
> > > magnitude more simple. But at the same time I see users constantly
> > > asking for additional configuration options.
> >
> > Squid is, IMHO, quite simple to configure. But, at the present time,
> > people do not know it and freeze reading the sample squid.conf. Most of
> > the values do not *need* to be changed but it takes time to discover by
> > yourself which to change.
> >

> What if we wrote a CGI frontend to configuring squid just like netscape has
> on most of their web products?

[ircache removed from cc]

While I can't see much wrong from using a WWW forms interface to generate the
initial squid.conf, I cringe at using the Netscape WWW interfaces to manage
their products. Typically they are infuriating, they clear screens displaying
error messages before you can read them and generate an extra source of
potential trouble (instead of "how do i configure squid?" it'll be "how do i
run the admin interface?" or "why can't i run the admin interface?" etc).

tom@iacom.com.au