Re: Squid QUICKSTART (Was: protecting local resources )

From: David J N Begley <david@dont-contact.us>
Date: Sun, 5 Jan 1997 15:56:25 +1100 (EST)

On Sat, 4 Jan 1997, Tom Minchin wrote:

> [...]
[...]
> > What if we wrote a CGI frontend to configuring squid just like netscape
> > has on most of their web products?
>
> While I can't see much wrong from using a WWW forms interface to generate
> the initial squid.conf, I cringe at using the Netscape WWW interfaces to
> manage their products.

Remember, what's being discussed here is an "option", much like
"cachemgr.cgi" is now; I'd certainly stick to tweaking the "squid.conf"
file directly, but the basic idea here is to provide something "fancier"
for less experienced users.

Anything implemented has to have a certain level of self-documentation
(explaining each option that may be chosen), and also need to be as
self-contained and robust as possible, else we'll end up with...

> ..."how do i run the admin interface?" or "why can't i run the admin
> interface?"...

...exactly. :-)

dave

---