Re: give me a quick start please

From: Christoph Kukulies <kuku@dont-contact.us>
Date: Mon, 3 Feb 1997 11:39:12 +0100

Stephane Bortzmeyer writes:
> On Sunday 2 February 97, at 18 h 26, the keyboard of Christoph Kukulies
> <kuku@gilberto.physik.rwth-aachen.de> wrote:
>
> > Subject: give me a quick start please
>
> Fine. There is a file named QUICKSTART in the Squid distribution. This is
> intended for beginners. Use it, you'll save time.

Yes, I knew that and read that but maybe I'll add some
recipe to it describing my experiences. I didn't find the
key tips in there I got from the kind people in this list here.

> > I removed cache_host totally from my squid.conf. The error I now get from
> > the off-net browser in the 192.168.1 network is
> >
> > "No neighbors or parents to query and the host is beyond a firewall"
> > My configuration is as follows:
>
> We need the squid.conf too. What did you change in it?
>
> > FreeBSD box
> > Internet---137.123.45.67--[ISDN gateway]--192.168.1------+-------+------+
> > squid1.1.4 | | |
> > httpd (Apache) Win95 Win95 WinNT
>
> 137.123.45.67 is unreachable at this moment, probably because the ISDN
> line is down. But I assume it has full access to the Internet?

It was a fake address :-) I don't like to post *real* addresses to
maillists - Though you all may be trustworthy but who knows who
someday may go through the mail archives.... ;-)